House of Madness
Not a member yet? Register today to begin posting!

House of Madness Thrill Rides The Haunted Carousel → Cliques

Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #41
Theo Raeken
the stories not yet told
Award Winner / Donor
Tommy
England
9,068 posts
I'm really excited to plot with you, Meg!

I know what you mean about feeling intimidated by some people's great writing - I get like that a lot too but I choose to take that in my stride and use it to try and make myself be better.

because there's always time for second guesses, I don't wanna know

if you're gonna be the death of me, that's how I wanna go
Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #42
Lady Levine
Wha? I'm Jamazing.
Donor
Jenny
Montreal
512 posts
Meg! I would love to plot with you. I get what you say about feeling intimidated by certain writers but I find that people get better as they write with someone they feel is "better" than them. I learn how to RP everyday I RP with someone new. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to plot plan and play!

You're such a hard act for me to follow
Love me today don't leave me tomorrow, yeah
But if I fall for you, I'll never recover
If I fall for you, I'll never be the same
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #43
Chaos Theory
and your ivy grows
Award Winner /
Thomas
Colchester
55,295 posts
This strays from the original post topic but hits off of what you said, Meg, so I'm going to respond. I find one of the biggest challenges for me is learning to adjust my style of writing to my RP partner. For instance, I prefer to write longer posts over shorter ones and I find short posts to actually be a lot harder for me to write than longer ones. Even if a post is long, if it's got a lot going on, I find that to be harder to respond to. My posts tend to be a lot of internal monologue, so I write better with people who can follow that same style of posting. So I often find it intimidating to write with new people because that adaptation is hard for me. :S

But that being said, I will plot with anyone at least once, pretty much. I find that I always get something different out of my scenes with different people, and I end up developing as a writer in some way, which I am all about.

I do relate to feeling the heat when I'm writing with someone that I think is a talented writer. I was so intimidated by a few of my plots with people and I was like OMFG how am I ever going to measure up to them, I'm nowhere near as talented of a writer as they are, but I pushed myself a lot in order to expand my creativity.

my house of stone, your ivy grows and now i'm covered in you
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #44
Daisy Johnson
I'm a little monster
Award Winner / Ring Leader
Phoebe
Yesterday
33,060 posts
^ That's a good point, Erika. I'm kind of the other way around. I'm used to writing in chat RPGs and writing novels and my style has never included a lot of inner monologuing, so I've often felt almost intimidated by looking at how long the posts are of many people here. But posting with people who are better than you is an excellent way to grow so I hope that's not putting anyone off.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #45
Macarena
hoper of far-flung hopes
Award Winner / Carnie
Meg
The TARDIS
8,254 posts
Aww, thanks for your support guys. It's nice to know someone else sort of feels the same way. I hope I do get better. I love challenging and improving my writing abilities and I've taken on a few characters that I felt were out of my range before. I hope I don't let you guys down who all want to plot and things

I don't want to get too much off the topic though :P I think it does connect though 'cause we're saying that writing styles affect the "friendship groups" we pick or people we like writing with. But I like that everyone's open to plotting with new people even if they have to use different writing styles I'm not sure what my style is as I've gotten more used to shorter posts because of timing issues but that's definitely happened to me. Where people have posted longer or shorter than I expected and I had to adjust. I think my length of posts sort of depends on characters, what they have to say, and a balance against who I'm writing with. I have some characters who refuse to ever make short posts
New Thread  Reply