House of Madness
Not a member yet? Register today to begin posting!

House of Madness Welcome to the Carnival The Mystic's Magic Ball → Character Checks: No More

Old 04-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Heartbreak Girl
strike to kill
Award Winner /
Carly
C-53
27,090 posts
Character Checks: No More
After all of the issues with this round of character checks the staff have had a discussion and we've decided to scrap character checks. We feel that at this time they are no longer necessary.

What does this mean for you? It means that you no longer have to submit save posts for your characters and that you no longer have to worry about characters being force dropped if you don't manage to post them.

However, we ask that everyone be realistic about what they can and cannot handle. Talk to each other. If someone isn't posting for you and it's becoming an issue then PM that person and talk to them about it. We're all grownups here and I don't think anyone will be upset with someone sending a message to say 'hey, I noticed you haven't posted X in a while, is everything okay?'.

As for the checks that have just gone, the staff will still action all of the requested drops and tidy up the member lists but nobody will be force dropped. We also ask that from here on out you keep an eye on your member lists and notify us of any changes to be made.

Finally if you have any questions regarding this change please leave a comment below or feel free to PM the staff account if you want your comment/question to be private.

- HoM Staff

what did you think i'd say to that? does a scorpion sting while fighting back?
they strike to kill and you know I will

Old 04-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Sense8
Come back to Texas
Donor
Codi
N/A
258 posts
This is a relief. I would always be nervous around checks time because of how I feel my chars are at risk because of a mistake in formatting the check post or a goof up in the name. Plus, sometimes there is that rush to get a post in and make sure all are caught up in time.

This is definitely good news and I am glad to see them go.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
s(AINT)
Grab your gear
Award Winner / Donor
Samantha
Hemlock Grove
3,258 posts
This could not have come at a better time what with me moving. I was gonna end up having a month to post 30+ characters and I knew I was gonna lose some. I’m happy to see them go.

Gibbs Rule 12: Never date a co-worker
Old 04-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Daisy Johnson
I'm a little monster
Award Winner / Ring Leader
Phoebe
Yesterday
33,060 posts
^ In that situation you could have just posted an away and requested grace periods! The vast majority of grace period requests were granted.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
Space Oddity
glorious
Award Winner / Main Act
Shadow
a galaxy far, far away
7,397 posts
I just want to put it out there that I'm not happy to see them go altogether, though I would have liked to have seen the strictness in enforcing them lessened. Maybe I've just misinterpreted the grace restrictions this whole time, but they always seemed too rigid - and, judging by the above posts, for example, I'm not the only one who felt their characters were ever in danger for silly reasons.

What I liked about checks was that it held everyone to a certain standard of activity. It made sure that, say, if sprees were happening in one plot, those people weren't able to completely ignore their other plots, because they had a deadline to keep to.

Personally, I'm going to continue to act as if checks are a thing, and I'm going to hold myself accountable and continue monitoring my own posting activity per 3-month period. And I hope there are other people who feel the way I do.

I won't let them break me down to dust.

I know that there's a place for us.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
Chaos Theory
and your ivy grows
Award Winner /
Thomas
Colchester
55,295 posts
I think that people having their own checks is a good idea too, this is taking away the stress and rigid ness of the check period. I’m probably going to do something similar with my own personal activity checks (that I was doing anyway) so if people need to have that for their own activity then that’s perfectly fine too

my house of stone, your ivy grows and now i'm covered in you
Old 04-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
Heartbreak Girl
strike to kill
Award Winner /
Carly
C-53
27,090 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Oddity View Post
I just want to put it out there that I'm not happy to see them go altogether, though I would have liked to have seen the strictness in enforcing them lessened. Maybe I've just misinterpreted the grace restrictions this whole time, but they always seemed too rigid - and, judging by the above posts, for example, I'm not the only one who felt their characters were ever in danger for silly reasons.

What I liked about checks was that it held everyone to a certain standard of activity. It made sure that, say, if sprees were happening in one plot, those people weren't able to completely ignore their other plots, because they had a deadline to keep to.

Personally, I'm going to continue to act as if checks are a thing, and I'm going to hold myself accountable and continue monitoring my own posting activity per 3-month period. And I hope there are other people who feel the way I do.
This is what I was encouraging with the announcement. The idea is that people will monitor their own activity levels. I plan to stick with my activity checks but I’ll be monitoring over a four month period now rather than three.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
no body, no crime
running in place
Award Winner / Donor
heidikins
Bat Country
13,421 posts
I'm probably gonna follow it for awhile cause I know once I stop then my whole RP world will turn upside down lol

And the glass of my intentions turns to sand
And shatters in my hand
Old 04-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #9
Writebrained
i started all the wars
Award Winner / Donor
Nai
ImagiNAItion
3,646 posts
What about people who don't post for months and are holding up the use of certain AIs? Or even, as I've done, disappeared from boards - what happens to those characters/AIs? You can't PM the person if they're gone to ask, for example

you're mistaking all my mistakes for my crooked nature
Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
Heartbreak Girl
strike to kill
Award Winner /
Carly
C-53
27,090 posts
Were looking into something else to make sure that AIs aren’t hogged indefinitely. A type of checks every six months where we would just drop characters for anyone who hasn’t been on the board in that time.

New Thread  Reply